My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://divaboutiquebakery.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Turkey day!!

A 22 pounder, perfectly golden, juicy and beautifully stuffed!!


For those of you who live in North America, Thanksgiving is one of the most, if not THE most popular holiday of the year...no presents, except for maybe a bottle of wine or two, and just hanging out with friends and family and gorgeous food.
Since I have been living in Ireland for almost 13 years, I really try to recapture that Thanksgiving feeling, both at home and at the cafe.
When my girls were little, i would keep them at home and we would get the dinner going together...when they started secondary school that wasn't as easy, but they still look forward to it every year.
People in Ireland always ask me ,"What is Thanksgiving?", and I have always replied, "It's the first meal the Native Americans had with the Pilgrims."  That's what we learned in school... but upon further investigation this year, I found out that the tradition was brought to New England from the Puritans emigrating from England, who continued to carry out their tradition of  Days of fasting and Days of Thanksgiving.  The days of Thanksgiving coincided with the end of the Harvest.  I also found out, other countries besides North America celebrate a "Thanksgiving".  In Germany it's called, Erntedankfest. In Korea it's called, Chuseok. In Japan, Labour Thanksgiving.  And a few other countries just call it Thanksgiving...Liberia, Grenada, Norfolk Islands and The Netherlands.
I am not too sure what each of these countries eat, but I do know that the one thing that is tradition in the American households is, Turkey!  For the past 3 years that we have been serving Thanksgiving Day dinner in the cafe, we have gotten big beautiful free range birds.
I have tried so many different ways to cook my bird, and I think I have perfected my technique.
I will provide a step by step in the next blog post for those of you wanting to roast a Turkey for your Christmas dinner....One hint, the basting involves butter and white wine!
One of my Grandpa Bob's tricks was to add beer to his stuffing, that is one tradition that I have kept for the past 23 years, since I started making my own turkey dinner...  Over the years different traditions have crept in and I look forward to making them every year...
For those of you coming to our Thanksgiving Dinner in the cafe.. The menu looks something like this:
Aperitif upon arrival
something tasty on your table...
Organic green salad with candied nuts and a local Irish cheese
Free RangeTurkey, roasted garlic parsnip and potato mash, Grandpa Bob's stuffing, butternut squash and apple 'gratain', roasted brussel sprouts, french green beans and gravy...all made in house
Dessert will include, pumpkin pecan pie, homemade cinnamon ice cream and a molten chocolate cake
coffee or tea.

Here are some photo's from last year :)

Sour cream apple pie with a streusel topping


Deviled Eggs with a Martini Twist! 

Center Piece with vintage dinnerware 

Pumpkin Cheesecake
Hope to see you there!!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home